Resources & Continuing Education for Animal Assisted Interventions
Connects practitioners across the world and provides standards of practice, resources, and an accreditation process.
Advancing the field of human-animal interaction through research, education, and collaboration among human-animal interaction organizations, policy makers, practitioners, and the general public.
Professional Standards and Competencies
- Standards of Practice (Animal Assisted Intervention International)
- Competencies for Animal Assisted Interventions (Leslie Stewart and Pet Partners)
Hands-On Workshops, Fieldworks, Post-Professional Rotations
I offer consultations with professionals looking to learn more about AAI and train their dogs for therapy work, or facilities looking to develop an AAI program.
Occupational therapy and AAT clinic. Offers workshops, hands-on learning labs, post-professional rotations, program development, and dog training for professionals.
- AOTA Resources on AAT and Assistance Dogs – Articles require AOTA membership to access
- Human Animal Bond Research Institute (HABRI)
- Section on Human Animal Interaction: Research & Practice, of Division 17 of the American Psychological Association
- International Society for Anthrozoology (ISAZ)
- Handbook on Animal-Assisted Therapy: Foundations and Guidelines for Animal-Assisted Interventions, 5th Ed. – Aubrey Fine
- Professional Applications of Animal Assisted Interventions (4 books, 2 more available soon) – Melissa Winkle
- Animal Assisted Play Therapy – Rise VanFleet and Tracie Faa-Thompson
Continuing Education Courses
- Basic terminology for AAI (online webinar)
- International Institute for Animal Assisted Play Therapy
- Animal Assisted Therapy Certificate Program (Oakland University)
- Certificate in Animal Assisted Interventions in Counseling (Idaho State University)
- Institute for Human-Animal Connection (University of Denver)
Orientation to Animal-Assisted Interventions
Animals & Human Health Certificate
Canine Assisted Intervention Specialist Certificate
- Hierarchy of Dog Needs – model for standards of care and best practices for force-free behavior modification
- Science-Based Information about Dogs
- Positive Reinforcement Training
- Relationship-Based Approach to Training
- Finding the Right Dog Trainer
- Puppy Training
- Canine Enrichment
- Pet Partners – get volunteer visiting experience with your dog.
- OT 4 Lyfe Podcast – Karen was a guest on this podcast and answered a lot of questions on OT and AAT.
- Information on assistance dogs and emotional support animals – additional resources at bottom of page.
SunDog Therapy has compiled this list but may or may not have direct experience with each resource. SunDog is not responsible for the accuracy or quality of content. Feel free to send feedback or ask questions.
Last Updated 7/6/2020.